Loukoumades (Honey Balls)
- 1 Envelope dry yeast
- 1 tsp sugar
- 1 cup water, lukewarm
- 3 cups five roses flour
- 1/2 cup tea bisk
- 1/4 cup salt
- 3 tsp. Ouzo
- Honey & cinnamon
- Combine yeast, sugar and water and wait 10 minutes. (place in warm area)
- Combine flour, salt and ouzo. Add to yeast mixture.(note, if there isn’t enough water, add a bit to make a good consistency – this is what greeks call measuring “me to mati” or “with the eye”) (most greeks don’t use exact measurements)
- Allow to rise for approximately 10 minutes.
- Heat oil in a pot
- Take a spoonfull of mixture and put into hot oil. ** Don’t forget to dip the spoon into water between EACH loukoumada.
- Gently heat honey and pour over the prepared loukoumades. Add cinnamon.
You can add lots of other “extras” as well (sprinkles, sesame seeds etc..)
– Try and be creative!! ENJOY!!!!!