Welcome back from summer holidays! All the HCO’s 2017-2018 Youth programs are about to begin! These programs offer our HCO youth wonderful opportunities to connect & grow up together with their Greek Orthodox friends. Registration information is as follows:
Greek Language Courses
Hellenic School of Ottawa – Elementary Program (Junior Kindergarten to Grade 8)
- The Hellenic School of Ottawa accepts children from Junior Kindergarten to Grade 8.
- The school will run from September 16th, 2017, to June 2018.
- Classes will be held every Saturday from 9:00 a.m. to 12:30 p.m. at D. Roy Kennedy Public School (919 Woodroffe Ave.).
- Registration Fees: $85 per child.
- Registrations, picking up the books and “Meet the Teacher”: Saturday, September 9th, 9:00-11:00 a.m.
- First Day of Classes: Saturday, September 16th, 9:00 a.m.
International Languages Program (Greek) – Secondary Program (Credit Course)
- Classes are offered by the OCDSB at no charge for academic credits towards a secondary diploma [Level 1 – (BD) Academic; Level 2 – (CU) and Level 3 (DU) University Preparation].
- The Credit Course Program will run from September 2017 to June 2018.
- Classes will be held every Saturday from 9:00 a.m. to 12:30 p.m. at Glebe Collegiate (212 Glebe Ave.)
- On-site registration and assessment: September 9th, between 9 a.m. – 12:30 p.m.
- To learn more please call the OCDSB International Languages Dept at 613-239-2703.
Certificate of Attainment in Greek
The exams for the Certificate of Attainment in Greek will take place in May 2018. For more information please contact Machi Marinou-Bleeker (firstname.lastname@example.org) or Nectaria Karagiozis (email@example.com) or the Community office (firstname.lastname@example.org or 613-225-8016 ext. 221).
School of Greek Traditional Dances and Odyssey Troupe
- The Dance School accepts children born in 2012 and up.
- Classes will be held on Monday evenings (6:30-9:00 p.m. – different hours for each group) -and on Tuesdays for Odyssey- at the Community Centre and at the Church Hall.
- Registration will take place on Saturday, September 9th at D. Roy Kennedy Public School from 9:00-11:00 a.m. (together with the Hellenic School registration), on Sunday, September 10th at 10:00 a.m. at the Church Hall and on Monday, September 11th at 6:00 p.m. at the Community Centre.
- First Day of Classes: Monday, September 11th and for “Odyssey” on Tuesday, September 19.
- Registration fee: $120.00/child for the Hellenic Community of Ottawa members and $250.00/child for non-members.
NOTE: Under the “Ontario Children’s Activities Tax Credit” (Language and Dance Instructions) tuition fees for both of the above children’s programs are tax deductible for children under 16 years of age.
The Sunday School accepts children from Junior Kindergarten (born in 2012 and up) to Grade 8.
- The registration for Sunday School will be held on Saturday, September 9th at D. Roy Kennedy Public School (919 Woodroffe Ave.) from 9:00-11:00 a.m. (together with the Hellenic School Registration) and on Sunday mornings, September 10, 17 & 24 in the Church Hall.
- Classes will commence on Sunday, September 24th at 10:15 a.m.
- There is no registration fee for HCO members; only $20 for supplies per family.
- Non-members are asked for $25 for books per child plus the $20 supplies fee per family.
The registration for all Youth Groups will be held on Saturday, September 9th at D. Roy Kennedy Public School from 9:00-11:00 a.m. (together with the Hellenic School Registration) and on Sunday mornings, September 10, 17 & 24 in the Church Hall along with Sunday School registration.
- H.O.P.E. Playgroup (newborn – 4 yrs of age) meets on Tuesday mornings from 9:30-11:30 a.m. in the Church Hall. The first day will be Tuesday, September 12th. Registration: a one-time fee for the year or a drop-in fee every time you participate: $75 one-time or $3 drop-in per family for HCO members; $150 one-time or $5 drop-in per family for non-members.
- J.O.Y. (5 -10 yrs of age) & Junior G.O.Y.A. (11-12 yrs of age) groups meet the last Friday of each month, from 6:30-8:30 p.m., holding interesting activities in the Church Hall or going on field trips. This year, their first gathering will be Friday, September 29th. Registration is $25 per child for HCO members with the third child of the same family is free. The fee for non-members is $50/child.
- Senior G.O.Y.A. (13-18 yrs of age) gathers once or twice a month with Fr. Alex Michalopulos and their youth advisors for meetings, activities or retreats. All families of GOYA members must be paid members of the HCO. There is a fee for program expenses of $20 per family. There will be additional costs for special events, retreats and out of town trips.