Welcome to Sunday School !
Table of Contents
|i.||Welcome to Sunday School!|
|ii.||School Year Calendar|
Welcome to Sunday School!
Our goal is to make Sunday mornings a fun learning experience for the children. We accomplish this through age-appropriate crafts, songs, discussion and group activities and attending Liturgy. Living our faith begins with the family. Please lead your children in prayer, make the sign of the cross together, say the Lord’s Prayer, etc. at home and we reinforce this at Sunday School.
Registration Age: Children must be 4 years of age by December 31st in order to enroll in the current school year.
Grades: Classes are from Junior Kindergarten through to Grade 8.
Sunday School Schedule:
- Classes run from September through to the 2nd Sunday in June (calendar is attached).
- Families are asked to arrive upstairs in church at 10:10 a.m., to participate in the Divine Liturgy together. Students are asked to sit with their family and follow along with the blue Divine Liturgy books which are in the pews. At Communion time, the children will be called up to receive Communion first, then they will proceed (with their teachers) to their respective classes where they will have a snack and their interactive lesson.
Pick Up Time:
- JK through Grade 4: immediately following Church Service. Please be prompt as the teachers must wait in the classroom with the children until you arrive.
- Grades 5 and up: Children will be allowed to leave the classroom once Church has ended (even if parents have not arrived)
All students are to dress in respectful attire, appropriate for Church.
The teachers must be able to contact you in case of an emergency. If you will not be in church, please provide the teachers with a contact number where you can be reached.
Attendance & Certificates:
- Graduation certificate is awarded to children who complete the grade 8 classes.
- Participation certificate is awarded to children that actively participate by attending class and partaking in class discussions.
- Excellent attendance certificate is awarded to children who miss no more than 2 days of class.
- When selecting students for roles in performances/functions, attendance will be taken into consideration as practices occur during Sunday school.
Students are asked bring a small offering to class each week (OrthoDollars or cash). This teaches stewardship and encourages the children to take pride in their Church through active participation and support.
The importance of Holy Communion and how to prepare to receive, is an integral part of the life of Orthodox Christians. Father Alex asks that the parents discuss this with their children and prepare them to receive Holy Communion.
A $20.00 classroom fee per family is being requested, in lieu of holding Bake Sales. Parents will only be asked to bring nut-free baked goods for special occasions: Christmas Celebration, Godparent Sunday and Graduation.
Communication: Throughout the year we will be sending emails to families with important information and updates. Please ensure that firstname.lastname@example.org is on your safe list and that any changes to your email addresses are communicated to the Sunday School Directors.
If you miss a Sunday, please check the Hellenic Community of Ottawa and District website, under the Sunday School heading for any letters, forms or updates that were given to the children that week. The website is located at: https://www.helleniccommunity.com/youth-recreation/sunday-school
- We are looking for parents who would like to join our Sunday school team in assisting us with various items including Feast Day Celebrations set up/clean up, and/or monitoring and assisting with planned activities.
- Please do not hesitate to speak with the Sunday School Directors about questions that you may have and offer your assistance.
We wish you all a happy School Year!
School Year Calendar (updated September 2018)
The Dormition of the Virgin Mary
Sunday School Year Calendar
Attend Divine Liturgy with your family. Classes begin immediately after Holy Communion and end after the Divine Liturgy (approx 12:15)
|Dormition of the
Virgin Mary Sunday
|2018/2019 Sunday School Year
PLEASE ARRIVE IN CHURCH AT 10:10 AND ATTEND DIVINE LITURGY WITH YOUR FAMILY. CLASSES BEGIN IMMEDIATELY AFTER HOLY COMMUNION.
|Sep 9th, 2018||Registration|
|Sep 16||Registration continues. First day of Sunday School. Attend Liturgy with your family & after communion come to class.|
|Sep 23||CHEO SUNDAY: Please bring donations to Church.|
|Sep 30||Meet the Teachers! Parents please join your child in their classroom immediately following Communion|
|Oct 7||No Sunday School. Happy Thanksgiving! Please attend Liturgy with your family|
|Oct 28||The Holy Protection of the Theotokos and OXI Day|
|Nov 4||Clocks fall back by one hour|
|Nov 25||Youth Sunday – Artoclasia prayer commemorating St. Catherine, patron saint of our youth. Arrive by 10:00 a.m.|
|Dec 16||Christmas Celebration today! Please be in class by 10:00 for preparation of Christmas Pageant.|
|Dec 23||No Sunday School. Sunday Before the Nativity. Please attend Liturgy with your family.|
|Dec 30||No Sunday school. Please attend Liturgy with your family|
|Jan 6, 2019||Holy Epiphany. Back to our regular routine|
|Jan 13 & 20|
|Jan 27||Godparent’s Sunday! Students are joined by their Godparents or Orthodox mentors for Liturgy, to receive Holy Communion and attend classes. Father Alex to address the children in church sermon. Also commemorating The Three Hierarchs, whose Feast Day is on Jan 29|
|Feb 17||No Sunday School. Family Day Weekend! Please attend Liturgy with your family.|
|Mar 3||Meatfare Sunday.|
|Mar 10||No Sunday School due to March break. Cheesefare Sunday. Please attend Liturgy with your family. Note: Tomorrow is the first day of Great Lent.|
|Mar 17||No Sunday School due to March break. Sunday of Orthodoxy. Bring your icon to church and please attend Liturgy with your family.|
|Mar 24||Watch for any special announcement for this day.|
|Mar 31||Today is the Veneration of the Holy Cross (we are halfway through Great Lent)|
|Apr 21||Palm Sunday.|
|Apr 28||Easter Sunday. No Sunday School.|
|May 5||Sunday School trip to Panagia the Comforter Monastery for Divine Liturgy & lunch!|
|May 12||Happy Mother’s Day! Classes as usual. Attend the Mother’s Day Luncheon with your family|
|May 19||No Sunday School. Victoria Day weekend. Please attend Liturgy with your family|
|Jun 9||Please arrive at 9:45. Last Day of Sunday School: receive Graduation certificates! Junior Choir performance.|
The Directors and Teachers of our Sunday School are all VOLUNTEERS
The Dormition of the Virgin Mary Greek Orthodox Church Sunday School
Spiritual Leader: Fr. Alex Michalopulos
Directors: Tassy Lyras-Vassilyadi, Joanna Niarchos & Vicky Grillas
JK/SK: Anastasia Grillas, Elena Tzavelas & Costa Grillas
Grades 1/2: Maria Provenzano & Ioanna Karlis
Grades 3/4: Ageliki Argiris & Maria Grillas
Grades 5/6: Joanna Niarchos & Kosta Stavrianeas
Grades 7/8: Tassy Lyras-Vassilyadi